Suggestion for laptop specs to display properly

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Suggestion for laptop specs to display properly

Postby shynepo3 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:16 pm

So I currently have a Razer Gaming laptop, which i wanted to be able to use the HUD and program with, but it displays too big or too small (due to the resolution, display setttings and windows 10). Some stuff is ok, but other things are impossible to read. On my PC, which is just a regular day to day pc, i have no issues. But i'd prefer to be able to use PT4 on a laptop.

Can someone help me as to what specs I should be looking for when i get a new laptop so PT4 dispalys properly? If it's a non gaming laptop, with a regular 14-15 inch monitor, nothing special, will i have any issues? I dont have another laptop currently to test this on, only my gaming one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was also considering a surface tablet, which runs windows 10. I just need something that is mobile, and doesnt limit me to a desktop. Thanks a lot.
shynepo3

Re: Suggestion for laptop specs to display properly

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:03 am

That will depend on the resolution of the monitor and your Windows magnification settings. PokerTracker 4 does not yet handle Windows magnification properly so some of its windows won't look right at higher magnifications (the further from 100% magnification you are the worse it will get) however the HUD should handle this OK. I have a 15" laptop with a 1920x1080 resolution and Windows recommends magnification at 125%. For a few reasons I prefer to set magnification at 100% but for other people this may make on screen text/icons too small for their own personal taste. A higher resolution on a screen of the same size will mean that when Windows magnification is at 100% icons and text will be even smaller and difficult to read without magnification enabled.
Flag_Hippo

Postby shynepo3 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks for replying Flag_Hippo - saying I dont really care about resolution, and willing to set it as low as needed to have PT4 look right, and say it's a 17inch/15 inch screen, where i want to be able to run 4 tables with no overlap, would i be ok? 1920x1080p, i think it will look to small. But say i go down to 13xx x 7xx? Will that work fine?

Is there any way I could actually test this on my current laptop? It's 14 inches, but resolution is really high. If i set it to 13xx x 7xx, and lower to magnification to 100%, that will show me what it'll be on a new lpatop?
shynepo3

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:25 pm

shynepo3 wrote:Thanks for replying Flag_Hippo - saying I dont really care about resolution, and willing to set it as low as needed to have PT4 look right, and say it's a 17inch/15 inch screen, where i want to be able to run 4 tables with no overlap, would i be ok? 1920x1080p, i think it will look to small.

4 tables on a 15" 1920x1080 monitor looks fine to me and only gets too small when tiling more tables than that.
shynepo3 wrote:But say i go down to 13xx x 7xx? Will that work fine?

Yes but if you use a 1366x768 resolution on a monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080 then things will not look as sharp as they would on a monitor with a native resolution of 1366x768.
shynepo3 wrote:Is there any way I could actually test this on my current laptop? It's 14 inches, but resolution is really high. If i set it to 13xx x 7xx, and lower to magnification to 100%, that will show me what it'll be on a new lpatop?

Yes but as mentioned above the display will be less crisp on a non-native resolution. Also as 14 inches is a smaller size than the monitor size you are considering you'd need to take that into account as well and if the aspect ratio of this monitor is not 16:9 then the image will be distorted to compensate for that.
Flag_Hippo

Postby shynepo3 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi Hippo, thanks for the detailed answers. Would you do me a big favour and take a pic of your HuD on 1920 x 1080p? The laptop i'm considering buying is that resolution at its max - if it looks fine and reasonable, then I'm actually going to get back into using my HUD again! I've been playing mobile the past 2 years, mainly cause i'm so lazy to sit at the PC and play. But having a laptop will make me more mobile, which means I'll get to play with a HUD.

Sorry for the backstory, but I'd really like a pic to see how it looks. If you dont mind. Thanks either way, and no worries if you can't.
shynepo3

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 am

When I am on my laptop again later this week I will take a screenshot or two and email them to you.
Flag_Hippo

Postby shynepo3 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Yes please do, thanks
shynepo3

Return to PokerTracker 4