Database restore and setup on a New Laptop

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Database restore and setup on a New Laptop

Postby civillobo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:10 pm

I am in the process of moving my Poker Tracker 4 Data Base (DB) from an older Laptop to a a new one and I am blown away how inefficient this seems to be. First making the DB backup on the old laptop took over 6 hours and maybe up to 10 hours. I am not sure because I went to bed while it was working. Now I am restoring the DB on the new laptop and I am on hour or two and this ridiculous operation. It seems to be restoring it one line at a time by date. My data base is only 536 MB (required Space) and I have only been using PT4 for about two months.

Is this for real? I am not even sure I am doing this right, has anyone else successfully done this and did it take this long? Please leave any pointers you might have.
civillobo

Re: Database restore and setup on a New Laptop

Postby civillobo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:24 am

This is about 12 hours later, and the new pc is still importing the DB line by line..... Really? I have to be doing something wrong. There is now way it should be taking this long. Are there any admins in this forum that can offer some help?
civillobo

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:38 am

If it's still restoring you can cancel it and restart the restore with everything under 'Optional Files' unchecked and it should proceed much faster.
Flag_Hippo

Postby civillobo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Thank Flag Hippo, I ended up letting the process run out for a full 14 hours after it started restoring. It the new computer pt4 said that this Database cannot be deleted. Fatal Error restoration. Something about two sessions using the database....

What a waste of time. I will try it again without the optional files. And maybe I I have to suspend the pt4 on old computer? Two sessions?

Any other pointers would be great.
civillobo

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:38 pm

If the restore has completed successfully it's not necessary to delete that database and start again. Also the two sessions have nothing to do with another computer - it just means something else on this computer is accessing that database as well so if you want to delete that database you should disable NoteCaddy via the 'PokerTracker+ -> NoteCaddy -> Disable NoteCaddy' menu option and then restart PokerTracker 4 before trying again.
Flag_Hippo

Postby civillobo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Wow Flag Hippo that was the trick. I disabled note caddy and it updated in 2 minutes. That was crazy with your pointers I did this in less than five minutes!

Thank you very much. I hope this thread helps other people because if I would have done this from the beginning it would have save so much time and pain.

So in review I did a backup on the old laptop without any optional data to an external drive.

I plugged the external drive into the new laptop. Then I opened PT4 on the new laptop. Then I disabled note caddy on the new PT4 program, then did a data restore. All of my Data seems to be on the new Laptop. No problem.
civillobo

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks for the update.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4