Question regarding 3bet vs steal stats

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Question regarding 3bet vs steal stats

Postby thoughtxriot » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:39 pm

I noticed in my HUD just now that the "3Bet Steal" stat doesn't jive with what I assumed were sub sets of it - 3Bet vs CO/BTN/SB Open. 3Bet vs Steal says its the percentage of the time a player 3bet from the blinds when facing an open raise from the CO, BTN or SB. Shouldn't, then, 3Bet vs. CO Open from the blinds + 3bet vs. BTN Open from blinds + 3bet vs. SB Open from BB = 3bet steal? I'm getting a greater total number of opportunties when I add those subsets up than the 3Bet Steal stat.
thoughtxriot

Re: Question regarding 3bet vs steal stats

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:06 am

thoughtxriot wrote:Shouldn't, then, 3Bet vs. CO Open from the blinds.....

There is no '3Bet vs. CO Open from the blinds' statistic available by default in PokerTracker 4 so are you using a custom statistic for that (or filtering in a report)? If you are actually using unfiltered data for your numbers from the '3Bet vs CO Open' default statistic then that includes BTN 3Bets vs CO.
Flag_Hippo

Postby thoughtxriot » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Flag_Hippo wrote:
thoughtxriot wrote:Shouldn't, then, 3Bet vs. CO Open from the blinds.....

There is no '3Bet vs. CO Open from the blinds' statistic available by default in PokerTracker 4 so are you using a custom statistic for that (or filtering in a report)? If you are actually using unfiltered data for your numbers from the '3Bet vs CO Open' default statistic then that includes BTN 3Bets vs CO.

It's the 3bet vs CO Open statistic as well as the 3bet vs BTN Open stat and the BB vs SB Open -3 Bet stat. In the HUD pop up, they're broken down further by position, using the Position item property. Here's a screenshot of the section of the HUD: https://i.imgur.com/piM2tr9.png

I would think that the 3Bet Steal total of 1213 in this case should match the total of the 3Bet vs. CO/Button/SB lines, excluding the BU vs CO, but adding up the latter results in a greater number (1418).

Or for a more specific discrepancy, the 3Bet Steal from the SB position should equal the sum of the 3Bet vs CO and 3Bet vs BTN from SB, but even here, the sum is greater than the 3Bet Steal stat.
thoughtxriot

Postby thoughtxriot » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:09 pm

I think I may have answered my own question just looking at it more now. Is it that the 3Bet Steal stat only includes times when the action folds to you in the blinds? If, for example, the CO opens, the BTN calls, and then you 3bet from the SB, that's not included in 3Bet Steal but IS included in 3B vs CO Open?
thoughtxriot

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:32 am

Thanks for clarifying and you are correct. '3Bet vs CO Open' & '3Bet vs BTN Open' include squeezes and when there is a caller in between then the 3Bettor from the blinds wasn't facing a steal.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4