Equity Calculator Hangs with 4+ Hands

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Equity Calculator Hangs with 4+ Hands

Postby BrianChina » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:41 pm

I discovered this a few months ago that the Equity Calculator would hang when analyzing 7 or 8 hands and would need to be terminated via the Task Manager.  Since I rarely have need to simulate game play with this many hands I ignored this issue and didn't report it.  But recently it's started happening with, usually, but not always, four or more hands,  The most frequent number of hands I do modelling with is four, the hero and 3 villains.   

When it happens it starts to calculate the odds and shortly after stops incrementing the odds along with stopping the progress stats at the bottom of the screen.  The circular progress indicator continues to revolve.  The "STOP" box never resets to back to "Calculate" in conjunction with the completion status of "Precision exhausted" not appearing as is usual.  PT4 is locked and the only way to recover is via "End Task" in Task Manager.  As we all know this is not the ideal way to terminate an application connected to an RDBMS.    

Also, to clarify, the Task Manager shows that PT4 isn't actually in a hung state as the CPU utilization figure is "High" and continually changes by a few percentages...the code is in a loop.

I reproduced this problem against my backup laptop by installing a first-ever instance of PT4 on it using a minimum of configuration parameters and no database entries.  Same problem.

PS.  I just reverified this against v4.15.27.
BrianChina

Re: Equity Calculator Hangs with 4+ Hands

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:55 am

That isn't something I can reproduce and it isn't a known issue so please send us this information in a Support Ticket along with a log file that has recorded the problem:

Guide: How to Create & Submit a PokerTracker4.log File
Flag_Hippo

Postby BrianChina » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:19 pm

Ticket #573495 has been entered for your reading pleasure.
BrianChina

Postby BrianChina » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:11 pm

I have omitted to mention that the problem happens when I specify "random" for the villain's hands. I just tried putting in valid card combinations and the Equity Calculator worked fine up to the maximum allowable hands. It's only hangs when against "random" hands (and sometimes four hands works).
BrianChina

Return to PokerTracker 4