Page 1 of 1

Unable to open POSTGRESQL DB. Fatal Message.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:44 am
by OldBloke
Hi,

I have just converted my PT2 database from Access to postgresql in preparation for upgrading to PT3.
The conversion seemed to go ok and when it had all finished I was able to see all my old data in the new postgresql database.
However, after closing down PT2 and reopening it, I can't open the postgresql database. I can still open the old access database.
On trying to get the prog to open the postgresql database, I get the following error message:
101 - sqlstate:08001
FATAL: COULD NOT OPEN RELATION: 1664/0/2676:PERMISSION DENIED

Any advice please?

Re: Unable to open POSTGRESQL DB. Fatal Message.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:54 am
by ptrack pat
Try restarting the computer.
Did you make a backup of the PostgreSQL database after you converted it?

Re: Unable to open POSTGRESQL DB. Fatal Message.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:53 am
by OldBloke
I have tried restarting my computer, but to no avail.
After converting, I made a backup of my C drive onto my external drive but I have just noticed that by looking under the maintain DB names, I can see my old access DB under
C:\program files\poker tracker v2\ptrack.mdb then the newer DB is shown simply as
PTPGSQL1 no mention of the C drive !!!

Could this be something to do with it?

Thank you.

Re: Unable to open POSTGRESQL DB. Fatal Message.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:02 am
by OldBloke
Furthermore, I cant find any trace of the new DB on the computer. So It looks like although I had it on my screen it had not been saved.
Assuming I will have to do the conversion again?
How do I ensure that it gets saved?
Is it possible to save it to my External E drive, or does it have to be on my C drive?

Thank you.

Re: Unable to open POSTGRESQL DB. Fatal Message.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:18 am
by ptrack pat
The PostgreSQL database isn't a single file on your hard drive like Access is. It's comprised of a bunch of files all stored in the c:\program files\postgresql\8.3\data\base folder. This is why you need to use the Utilities > PostgreSQL Database Functions window to make a backup of the database, so that it creates a single, compressed file containing the data that you can restore from if need be.

If the restart didn't help I don't know what would be causing this error. Convert the Access db again and as soon as it's done, make a backup.

Re: Unable to open POSTGRESQL DB. Fatal Message.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:08 am
by OldBloke
Ok Pat finally got it running, but it involved having to re-install postgresql and a lot of frustration.
I realise I made a mistake in not making a backup of the converted DB as soon as the conversion was complete.
However, I was working from the Help notes for the convert DB feature, and I think it would be helpful to others, and save you a lot of work/time, if at the end of the help note for convert DB it said to make a backup immediately and make the new DB the default DB.

The conversion has significantly boosted the performance of PT V2. I'm looking forward to getting V3 installed soon.

Thank you.