[solved] error reading file postgresql.conf

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

[solved] error reading file postgresql.conf

Postby sethseth » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:36 pm

I just went through a huge headache for two hours trying to figure out why no version of postgres would work on my fresh windows 7 32bit install. I tried everything in many different google search listings for this error before I finally stumble on a post on holdemmanager forums where it said your computer name and username must be english and can't have a space in it. So obv mine had a space in it. This needs to be more prominent in the install FAQ so people don't waste more time with this. Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, but I could not find anything about it with extensive forum searching, and I am a fairly technical user.

Quoted from Sarek on HM forums
A) Is HM installed in default path?
B) If you have Win7 (or Vista), consider the following:
1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And he must have admin rights. After installation you can kill this new user - his mission is completed.
3) Secondary logon service must be set to "Autostart".
4) UAC = OFF
5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
6) All installations must run "as admin" (by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone" installation file from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB
8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database" - simply create it via DBControlpanel.
10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
net user postgres /delete
exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
11) Run all pokerclients "as admin" too.
sethseth

Re: [solved] error reading file postgresql.conf

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:49 am

Thanks - I'll make sure the relevant person sees this.
WhiteRider

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]